Time is running out and everyone is harried, so how about planning something nice to do after the holidays?
I don’t know about you but I’ve got enough stuff! What I don’t have enough of is time with the people that I care about, especially in this harried time of year. So how about instead of putting more stuff under the tree, plan a special outing to spend time together after the holiday cheer and the snow melts away.
How about advance tickets to the theater?
I love to have a relaxing night on my calendar well in advance, and theaters love to know that their seats will be filled. Whether a regional theater like the Kansas City Rep, a children’s theater like the Coterie, an independent grass-roots theater like the Living Room, the avant-garde of the Fringe Festival, a small black box like the Fishtank, or our friends in Fort Worth at Amphibian Stage Productions, why not check out their upcoming shows and put theater tickets under the tree?
Besides, a trip to the theater is not only a great evening out, but also a way to support lots of creative people in your community. In addition to the talented faces you see on the stage there are so many more talented people making the shows possible. By supporting the work they do in the theater, you are making their independent projects possible as well — like costume designer Alison Heryer’s Picnic Project.
A few of the beautiful people that you won’t see on stage:
Meet more great artists that have already been featured in my “Buy Personal” series. Subscribe to the blog so you don’t miss any of the great makers coming up!
- Erin McGrane and Jeff Freling — Music
- Audrey Heller — Photography
- Mychal Mitchell — Handcrafted Books
- Lulu Smith — Jewelry
- The Monocle — Performing Arts Group
- Pamela Summers and Raymond Rains — Ceramics and Glass
- Jacob Berkowitz — Non-Fiction
- Sage Billig — Children’ Clothing
- Chris McCarthy — Glass
- Justin Teilhet — Ceramics
- Tommy Donoho and Justin Penney — Music/Record Label
- Gregory Story — Ceramics
- Former me — photography
- David Wayne Reed — Performer/writer
- Jeweler round-up — Jewelry
- Cathy Broski — Ceramic Sculptor
- Jim Brown — Mixed Media
- Jay McDougall — Wood Sculpture
- Kyle Dahlquist - Music
- Barclay Martin — Music
- Visual artist round-up #1 — Paint, Mixed Media, Fiber, Printmaking
- Kina Crow — Mixed Media
- Nathan Granner — Music
- Visual Artist round-up #2 — Paint, Mixed Media, Fiber, Photography
- Jennifer Owen & Brad Cox — Dance
- Andy Garrison — Actor