Like many people we know, we have cut back on the number of presents under the tree. But by being mindful, and buying only things created by artists that we know – art objects, music, a night out at the theater, a meal at a friends restaurant – we are still giving plenty of gifts.
When you buy art as a gift:
- You are introducing the recipient and the artist — the first step in building a relationship between the two.
- You are helping the artist sustain their art practice, pay their mortgage, put groceries in their refrigerator, send their children to school and otherwise take care of their family .
- You are adding your dollars to the creative economy, which is what sets each community and town apart and offers meaning and beauty to our lives.
- You are opting out of traditional retail and big box stores, low wages, and imported goods.
- And, You are giving a kick-ass unique present!
- Jeweler round-up – Jewelry
- Visual artist round-up #1 – Paint, Mixed Media, Fiber, Printmaking
- Visual Artist round-up #2 – Paint, Mixed Media, Fiber, Photography